Sick Notes and Medical Certificates


You don’t always need to see a clinician

For short lived minor illnesses which coincide with assessment tasks, all students are allowed to self certify for 7 days or less.  You can do this by obtaining a personal sick note (self certification form) from the reception at the Health Centre and complete it yourself.

If an assessment contributes 10% or less of the module credit, a self certification completed by yourself should be submitted within 3 days of returning to University after the illness.

You need to see a clinician

When you have an illness that prevents attendance at a major exam or prevents you submitting an assignment that constitutes at least 10% of the module mark


You have a major or prolonged illness lasting more than 7 days.

Please ask for an appointment with a Nurse Practitioner if you need a certificate.

Please note there is a £20 charge for a certificate


The DWP has issued strict guidelines for doctors to follow when issuing Fitness for Work notes (formerly known as ‘sick notes’).

If the illness is:  

  • Less than 3 days: your employer should not require a Fitness for Work note
  • Between 3 and 7 days: you should hand your employer a “self certificate” (SC1). You do not need to see the doctor for this
  • More than 7 days: You will need a Fitness for Work note and must see the doctor to get one. It is only at 7 days that you need a doctors’ note. If you require a note covering illness when you saw a different doctor (e.g. casualty) the doctor at the surgery must be in receipt of written evidence that you saw another doctor.

Fitness for Work notes needed before 7 days illness will incur a charge that should be borne by your employer.

Please visit the Department for Work and Pensions website for more information.